Knewton is on a mission to personalize education. At Knewton, you’ll solve tough problems, own your projects, and grow on the job. Knewton has been recognized as a Technology Pioneer by the World Economic Forum in Davos and one of the top 25 best places to work by Crain’s New York Business.
You will be part of a high caliber team whose members have won medals in math olympiads and programming competitions with publications in top tier distributed systems and machine learning conferences. A team who enjoys exploring new paradigms and technologies to build things that scale, replicate, are easy to manage, and have elegant APIs.
This is an outstanding opportunity to:
• Work on a system that executes real-time statistical models processing thousands of model parameters per second to deliver recommendations to hundreds of thousands of students in real-time.
• Be a key contributor as that system grows into tens of millions of students.
• Work with top data scientists on implementing their models in an efficient way.
• Design and implement components for the recommendation service and framework with focus on scalability, availability, easy maintenance and providing an intuitive API for model development by data scientists.
• Perform design reviews with a focus on clarity and efficient trade-offs between development time, model precision, and maintenance cost.
• Perform code reviews with focus on best practices in terms of software engineering and clean, high performance code.
• Communicate with internal teams (front-end and analytics) and handle their requirements from brainstorming to implementation.
You must have:
• A CS or related Degree (MS, Phd A+) and 5+ years of industry experience in building distributed Java applications/systems.
• Experience in mentoring junior developers.
• Comfort in jumping into projects that touch different components of a large system.
• Comfort with cross-team communication.
• Desire to pay attention to detail and enforce high design/coding standards.
• Familiarity with agile development methodology.
• Performed design and code reviews.
• Experience in writing optimized Java code.
Not required, but highly desirable:
• Experience fine tuning the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).
• Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Unix.
• Experience with open-source technologies.
• Experience with big data processing using NoSQL technologies like Cassandra, Hadoop, and Hive.
• Experience in stream processing or actor models like Akka.
• Knowledge of machine learning techniques.
• Competitive salary and stock options.
• Flexible hours.
• High-quality equipment (default setup: a Mac laptop with a giant monitor).
• The opportunity to use cutting-edge machine learning and engineering techniques to transform and democratize education.
100 Fifth Ave, New York, NY 10011