Knewton is on a mission to personalize education for students around the world. Education companies worldwide use the Knewton infrastructure platform to power course materials that dynamically adapt to each student’s unique needs.
At Knewton, we use small, cross-functional teams to solve difficult challenges with real-world implications. Teams comprise a range of technical, mathematical, educational, and design specialists unified by a passion for improving education.
Knewton was founded in 2008 and has offices in New York City and London. Investments top $105M from well-known angel investors plus Accel, Bessemer, First Round Capital, Firstmark, Founders Fund, GSV, and Atomico.
This is an outstanding opportunity to:
- Work with and learn from leading engineers and data scientists
- Provide analysis that informs key decisions regarding technical and product direction of the company
- Work with one of the world’s largest educational datasets while answering previously unanswerable questions
- 1+ years experience with quantitative analysis and accompanying tools such as R, Python, and Matplotlib
- 1+ years experience with database technologies such as SQL
- Solid programming experience utilizing Java, C, C++ or Python
- Strong passion for empirical research and both posing and answering hard questions from/with data
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analyses in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- A passion for transforming education
- Experience working with large, messy data sets, and in ETL, or analogous processes, to acquire and transform data into a useful, maintainable, reusable, and accessible form
- Understanding and experience implementing processes needed to ensure quality -- Track record of clean analyses validated with assumptions and pitfalls explicitly noted
- Ability to take research questions and construct analysis to answer them with little input from lead/manager
- Competitive salary, great benefits, and equity
- Flexible hours, no vacation policy, and paid maternity and paternity leave
- High-quality equipment (default: a new Macbook Pro with a giant monitor)
- Frequent guest speakers and tech/edtech Meetups hosted at Knewton HQ
- Social groups and sports teams
- Free lunch and dinner every weekday in the office, all-day snacks, and a full bar
- Free monthly MetroCards/PATH cards