Knewton is on a mission to personalize education for students around the world. Education companies worldwide use the Knewton infrastructure platform to power course materials that dynamically adapt to each student’s unique needs.
At Knewton, we use small, cross-functional teams to solve difficult challenges with real-world implications. Teams comprise a range of technical, mathematical, educational, and design specialists unified by a passion for improving education.
Knewton was founded in 2008 and has offices in New York City and London. Investments top $105M from well-known angel investors plus Accel, Bessemer, First Round Capital, Firstmark, Founders Fund, GSV, and Atomico.
We're looking for engineers or applied scientists with experience implementing data mining and machine learning systems to help build an innovative online education system that adapts to each individual student.
What we need from you:
- Passion and enthusiasm for building scalable systems that analyze huge data sets and make actionable recommendations
- Proven ability to identify relationships within large, not obviously related data sets
- Ability to work with incomplete or imperfect data
- Familiarity with linear algebra and manipulating data using matrix algorithms
- Ability to build and interpret probabilistic models of complex, high-dimensional systems
- experience with quantitative analysis utilizing python
- experience with database technologies such as SQL
- Solid programming experience utilizing Java, C, C++ or Python
Using any of following technologies:
- Collaborative filtering
- Decision trees (and automatic tree generation)
- Bayesian methods
- Clustering techniques (principal components analysis, k-means, etc.)
What we'd like from you:
- Hadoop or other MapReduce implementation experience
- Semantic text mining or natural language processing experience
- Experience in high-stakes information retrieval and statistical analysis - (i.e. Bioinformatics, Fraud Detection)
- Competitive salary, great benefits, and equity
- Flexible hours, no vacation policy, and paid maternity/paternity leave
- High-quality equipment (default: a new Macbook Pro with a giant monitor)
- Frequent guest speakers and tech/edtech Meetups hosted at Knewton HQ
- Social groups and sports teams
- Free dinner every weeknight in the office, all-day snacks, and a full bar
- Free monthly MetroCards/PATH cards