Knewton is on a mission to personalize education for students around the world. Education companies worldwide use the Knewton infrastructure platform to power course materials that dynamically adapt to each student’s unique needs.
At Knewton, we use small, cross-functional teams to solve difficult challenges with real-world implications. Teams comprise a range of technical, mathematical, educational, and design specialists unified by a passion for improving education.
Knewton was founded in 2008 and has offices in New York City and London. Investments top $105M from well-known angel investors plus Accel, Bessemer, First Round Capital, Firstmark, Founders Fund, GSV, and Atomico.
Our team is looking for an Adaptive Instruction Analyst. This is a cross-disciplinary role, equal parts pedagogical and technical. You will use an educator’s eye to validate and help iterate on the models that drive our recommendations and analytics. In carrying out this work, you’ll develop a knowledge of our learning ontology, our algorithms, the technologies and platforms that support our products, as well as educational content across a variety of disciplines — and synthesize this knowledge into actionable tests of our products’ educational quality. You’ll engage with our partners’ products, our Data Scientists, and our engineers.
If you’ve got experience in the converging worlds of education and technology, and if you’re adept at both independent research and collaborative discussion, then this may be the perfect way for you to join Knewton’s growing team of adaptive learning technologists.
- Ensure that Knewton’s adaptive algorithms work as designed by performing quality and functional tests on our products.
- Draw on pedagogical and content knowledge to frame questions for tests, observational studies, and experiments.
- Propose structured ways to incrementally improve these core products, based on experience and research.
- Relentlessly look for ways to automate incremental tasks and increase the frequency and variety of our tests as a result.
- Demonstrated experience in and passion for the field of education, and an ability to think broadly about the intersection of technology and education
- History of self-directedness and independent work, and an eagerness to pick up new skills and programming languages
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Proven capacity to work productively in cross-functional groups
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees and partners
- Scrupulous attention to detail
- Strong organizational, quantitative, and logical skills
- Strong written skills in English
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, with college-level calculus, linear algebra and stats
- 1+ years of teaching or educational curriculum and content development experience
- Professional experience with educational standards, instructional design, or the educational technology landscape a plus
- Familiarity with languages for simple scripting jobs (e.g. Python) and stats packages a plus
- Fluency in foreign languages (Portuguese, Spanish, French, Danish, Turkish) a plus
- Experience conducting independently guided research a plus
- Competitive salary, great benefits, and equity
- Flexible hours, no vacation policy, and paid maternity/paternity leave
- High-quality equipment (default: a new Macbook Pro with a giant monitor)
- Frequent guest speakers and tech/edtech Meetups hosted at Knewton HQ
- Social groups and sports teams
- Free dinner every weeknight in the office, all-day snacks, and a full bar
- Free monthly MetroCards/PATH cards
100 Fifth Ave, New York, NY 10011