Knewton is on a mission to personalize education for students around the world. Education companies worldwide use the Knewton infrastructure platform to power course materials that dynamically adapt to each student’s unique needs.
At Knewton, we use small, cross-functional teams to solve difficult challenges with real-world implications. Teams comprise a range of technical, mathematical, educational, and design specialists unified by a passion for improving education.
Knewton was founded in 2008 and has offices in New York City and London. Investments top $105M from well-known angel investors plus Accel, Bessemer, First Round Capital, Firstmark, Founders Fund, GSV, and Atomico.
We are seeking a seasoned, high-functioning superstar to join the Business Development team. Knewton’s Business Development team reports directly to the CEO and leads Knewton’s API partnership strategy and deal execution. As a member of the team, you will source, structure, and close new business opportunities, drive partnerships within new and existing markets, and uncover new products or service offerings.
You will work closely with Knewton senior management as well as content, data science, design, and technology teams in order to identify, pitch, and close strategic partnerships with the world’s leading learning companies. We are looking for a highly detail-oriented individual with serious entrepreneurial drive and extraordinary flexibility to meet the demands of a high-energy start-up.
- Work cross-functionally within Knewton to drive partnership strategy and execution
- Manage research, outreach, and relations with major educational companies, content providers, large for-profit education companies, foundations, school districts, and technology companies
- Work directly with the CEO and COO on partnerships and to set strategic priorities and identify opportunities for growth in existing and new markets
- Understand complex business issues and technical challenges and collaborate with teams to capture requirements for projects
- Collaborate with Knewton product and tech teams to articulate customer needs and business priorities, as well as articulate rationale behind decisions
- 2-5 years successful BD track record with scalable and disruptive enterprise technology partnerships
- Ability to conduct business in Spanish and/or Portuguese language as well as in English
- BS/BA or equivalent
- Experience in, a passion for or appreciation of using technology in education
- Ability to structure, negotiate, contract review, and close complex enterprise deals
- Ability to construct and present concise cost/benefit analysis
- Strong analytical capability and understanding of key financial and business metrics
- Strong at public-speaking and building relationships with clients
- Gracious team player capable of navigating the organization with skill and charm
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- MBA from a top business school (Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, etc.)
- Investment banking or management consulting experience
- Experience working in education or an education technology company
- Competitive salary, great benefits, and equity
- Flexible hours, no vacation policy, and paid maternity/paternity leave
- High-quality equipment (default: a new Macbook Pro with a giant monitor)
- Frequent guest speakers and tech/edtech Meetups hosted at Knewton HQ
- Social groups and sports teams
- Free dinner every weeknight in the office, all-day snacks, and a full bar
- Free monthly MetroCards/PATH cards